Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Beverly Billingsly Borrows a Book


Written and Illustrated by Alexander Stadler
Voyager Books, 2002
28 pages

     I borrowed this book from my friend. She thought it would be great for my blog and she was right! In this story, Miss Beverly Billingsly goes through an important rite of passage-recieving her first library card! She checks out her first book from the Piedmont Library-a book about dinosaurs! She becomes so engrossed in the book that it becomes overdue. Beverly worries herself into a tisey, and finally her mother and her take it back to the library. When she returns it, another dinosaur fanatic is wating to check the book out...and so begins the Piedmont Dinosaur Club!

     I am not a fan of the illustrations. I looks to me as if they were computer-generated. I know it is probably meant to look childish, but I think art adds so much to books so it is something that I can't really overlook. The text is in a traditional style, under the illustration.

     I would recommend this book to a very young classroom. It would be a great way to break the ice about going to the library. The students would see that they have some of the same fears, excitement and wonders about the library as Beverly does in the story. This book has not received any awards.



No comments:

Post a Comment