Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The Invisible Moose

The Invisible Moose
Written by Dennis Haseley
Illustrated by Steven Kellogg
Dial Books, 2006
39 pages
Fantasy

       To be perfectly honest I chose this book because of this fella...
...his name is Moose. Well, I fell in love with this little book! It is about a girl Moose and a boy Moose and they are precious, I tell you! I mean, just look...
I just love the left picture! They are looking at each other so sweetly! Anyway, back to the story. They really like each other. Then, some hunters come and take her away to the big city-to New York City! Moose goes on an adventure to rescue her, but he goes invisibly! The owl gives him a potion to make him invisible so that the hunters won't see him. This is such a cute story! I am so glad that I found it at the thrift store, and for only 75 cents!

       The illustrations are my favorite part! That is usually how it happens. If I love the pictures, then I will love the book. They are done in watercolor washes and acrylics. They are so vivid and bright, and I see something different every time I look at them.

       This would make a great writing prompt for upper grades. You could ask the students to write about where they would go and what they would do if they were invisible. Also, you could talk about geography since he travels down from Quebec to N.Y.C. Character development is another thing you could talk with your students about concerning this story. Moose has a strong character and goes to save his lady friend which shows bravery

       

No comments:

Post a Comment