Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The Sleeping Beauty

The Sleeping Beauty
Retold by Jane Carruth
Joshua Morris, 1984
15 pages
Traditional Literature

       This story is my all-time favorite! I love the Aurora verison that is Disney's. A baby daughter is born to a King and Queen. They have a big celebration, but forget to invite the oldest and most powerful fairy. At the celebration, this Fairy shows up and curses the baby. The youngest fairy still has a gift to give the child, so she reverses the curse to where the princess will not die, but just fall asleep. In the end, the handsome prince comes and finds her, kisses her, and everyone lives happily ever after!

       I enjoyed looking at these pictures to see how they were different from the images I have seen since I was a little girl. I think that these drawings were done exclusivley with colored pencils. They are very pretty and delicate looking. I paticularly love how "Maleficent" looks in this verison!

       Every classroom needs Fairy Tales, and this is one of the best ones. Children need to be exposed to this type of traditional literature because sadly, parents don't seem to be reading it to their children anymore. You could talk about what makes a book fiction. You could also research to see if there are any vines in the world that could actually cover a castle, like in the story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment